The Blue Camembert

Cheese!

Monday, February 06, 2006

Compact Fluorescent Bulbs

About a year ago I replaced most of the incandescent bulbs in our house with energy efficient compact flourescent models. These come with claims that they have lifetime ratings from anywhere from 6000-10000 hours. Lately these bulbs have started burning out, even though it is unlikely any of them have seen even close to the ratings they are given. I am beginning to doubt the environmental claims and the safety of these things. They all burn out the same way. The plastic around the base of the light tube melts, leaving me to wonder if they might catch fire. Also, the Commercial brand from Home Depot cracks the glass tube as the plastic melts, filling the house with stinky smoke. I wonder how much mercury vapour is in this smoke for Emily and I to breath?



Now I have to dispose of these. They contain mercury, which means they are considered hazardous waste. There is no collection programs set up for these, despite the campaigns our local governments have launched to get citizens to switch. What do you do with them? Even ignoring the hazardous waste component, the bulbs weigh about 10 times as much as a standard bulb, meaning that one of these is 10 times as much waste on the curb. Much more energy went into the production of one of these bulbs than a standard bulb as they are many orders of magnitude more complex.

So lets say the bulb lasts 1000 hours, the same as a standard bulb. That saves about 75 kWh in electricity (assuming a 100W replaced with a 25W). I save about $7.50 in electricity for a bulb that cost me about five bucks compared to a normal bulb at about $0.50. Is the 75 kWh of energy savings worth the environmental concerns outlined above? Is $3 per bulb in net savings worth the fire and health hazards of these things?

I look forward to any comments on this post with personal experience with these things, concerns, or any other thoughts.

5 Comments:

At 3:24 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmmm... I've been using these bulbs for years and have never seen a compact fluorescent bulb do what you've just described. Could you have some kind of electrical problem in your house causing a malfunction in the bulbs? Rough handling of the bulbs can also cause them to malfunction.
---Rob

 
At 11:32 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mike, you have such a math brain, brainiac. I have a few of those bulbs, and I don't really like them because they cast a hideous light. To me, its all about asthetics.

 
At 1:20 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never had a problem with mine either, and I've had the one in my bedside lamp for over five years.

I did have two die quickly in one living room lamp, but figured out the cause: that lamp had a 3-position switch (for those old tri-power 50/100/150W bulbs). Using the 1st or 3rd postion burned them out, but the middle one was fine. I have since replaced the socket on that lamp.

Also, I find that the newer fat bulbs (that resemble incandescent) give a nicer light than the older curved-tube bulbs.

Mark

 
At 9:58 a.m., Blogger Mike said...

All the bulbs that have burnt out are the 23W variety. I have yet to burn out the lower power 13W types. Perhaps they are running too hot for the design... perhaps packing the ballast in a PCB based coolant would solve these problems :-)

 
At 12:47 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

iv had this happen to me. just burnt the hell out of my finger. 2 bulbs so far,same spiral design. for me they start to flicker before they get really hot. the 1st burnt and melted. i didnt give the 2nd a chance but it was still hot enough to burn my skin. im talkin blister,people. and it hurt.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home